Getting Mental Health and Academic Support at Wright State University


Counseling and Wellness Center on Campus


Location: 053 Student Union (between Student Health Services and the Raider Food Pantry)

3640 Colonel Glenn Highway

Dayton, OH 45435

Hours: Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.

Intake appointments Monday-Friday 11a.m-3p.m

Walk-in appointments Monday-Friday 8:30am-5pm

Phone: 937-775-3407


Services and support provided

We all can experience personal problems that lead us to feel confused, anxious, overwhelmed, sad, and/or depressed. Counseling and Wellness Services (CWS) is here to help. We offer a warm, relaxed and confidential place to talk things out. Often you may find that there are not simple answers to your problems, however talking to a therapist can result in finding new ways to look at problems as well as identifying suggestions and possible solutions. Often, just talking with someone who asks the right questions is all that is necessary to relieve stress and find answers. Therapy and/or psychological assessment are available to Wright State University students. Therapy is offered in group, individual, couples, and/or family modalities.


Raider Cares and Mental Health Emergencies

Raider Cares is Counseling and Wellness Services’ 24-hour crisis phone service. The Raider Cares line is staffed by off-site mental health professionals providing emotional support, assistance, crisis intervention and suicide prevention to current Wright State University students experiencing emotional distress. Call Raider Cares at 937-775-4567.


Group Counseling

Group counseling is a great option for students who would like to connect with others while working on their personal goals. Counseling and Wellness Services offers groups to fit a variety of concerns.

View the schedule here:



Following an initial interview, or intake session, a treatment plan is recommended that considers client goals and CWS services. Clients are then assigned to a therapist with preferences for therapist gender/race being honored whenever possible. All training therapists are required to audio or videotape their sessions. The tapes are used solely to assist the therapist in his/her training while under the supervision of a Licensed Psychologist.



A Counseling and Wellness Services Fee will appear on your University bill.  This fee is an optional $20 fee per semester. If you choose to pay the CWS Fee, you will be able to receive mental health services (counseling, psychological assessment and psychiatric services) at CWS at no cost.  You will also be able to receive Life Coaching Services offered by CWS at no cost.  You may choose to waive the fee and continue to utilize the counseling and wellness services, but you will be assessed $20 per session for mental health, psychological assessment, psychiatric and/or life coaching services

A missed session fee of $20.00 is applied when a student does not show for an appointment or cancels an appointment without 24 hours notice.


Who Provides the Counseling Services?

Staff consists of Licensed Psychologists and Counselors, Psychiatrist, and psychology interns and doctoral level trainees.



Counseling and Wellness Services does not release information to University administrators or faculty, to parents, family members, or to outside agencies without the client’s written authorization. Exceptions to confidentiality include: as required by Ohio law, when the counselor determines that a person is at risk for child or elder abuse/neglect, suicide, or homicide.


Disability Services

Location: 180 University Hall (Staff & Test Proctoring Center) | 127 Allyn Hall (Technology Center)

Hours: Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. (ODS office); Walk-In Hours Mon. 2-4p.m., Tues. 2-4p.m., Wed-Fri. 10a.m.-12p.m.

Phone: (937) 775-5680

TTY: (937) 775-5844

Fax: (937) 775-5699





The Office of Disability Services (ODS) makes applying for your accommodations as easy as possible. Students with any type of disability can apply for services at any time before or during their enrollment at Wright State (registration will not be finalized until the student is accepted to WSU).

1) Request Services

To request disability accommodations, please submit your request for accommodations via our online application portal*:

 (*If you are unable to access the electronic application, please contact the Office of Disability Services at 937.775.5680 to obtain a copy of the application materials in an alternative format.)


2) Submit Documentation

Follow the instructions in your application confirmation email to upload documentation of your disability to our application portal.

Students applying for accommodations will submit the following:

  • Professional documentation of your disability

Please submit a certification form for each of your disabilities for which you wish to receive accommodations. The forms below can be completed and submitted by your doctor, or you can provide equivalent documentation.

  • Individual Education Plan (IEP), Evaluation Team Report (ETR), or 504 Plan from high school (if applicable)
  • A list of services or letter of accommodations provided by other colleges/universities previously attended (if applicable)

Documentation can be submitted at any time during the registration process.


3) Schedule a College Accommodation Plan (CAP) Meeting

Once a student application has been reviewed (including complete documentation), an ODS case manager will follow up, for one of two reasons:

• to address any needed documentation, if any information in an application is incomplete

• to schedule a College Accommodation Planning (CAP) meeting, if the application is complete

CAP meetings can be conducted over the phone or Skype, when appropriate.

The student and the ODS case manager will engage in an interactive process to determine if the student is eligible for accommodations.

If ODS denies a student’s requested accommodation(s), ODS will notify the student in writing within 5 business days of the College Accommodation Plan meeting, noting the reasons for the denial, along with instructions outlining how the student may appeal the denial.



Most services are provided to students at no cost; however, fee-based services such as personal assistance and out-of-class reader-writer services will be billed directly to students or sponsoring agencies.